Employed? Self-employed? Unemployed? Veteran? Student? You might want to optimize your LinkedIn profile with the best keywords if you want to be found.
If, for example, you are an attorney, like Hanan Isaacs, Esq., focus on keywords in the following areas:
- HEADLINE of up to 220 characters: Central NJ Attorney | Family Law & Divorce | Employment Litigation | Alternative Dispute Resolution | Negotiations | Arbitrator | Discrimination | Civil Law | Trial Lawyer | Legal Advocacy | Business Disputes | Counsel
- ABOUT section up to 2600 characters: Remove all the paragraphs, add white space, and create bullet-pointed lists of keywords.
- JOB TITLES embellished up to 100 characters: Senior Attorney | Arbitrator | Mediator | Trial Lawyer | Matrimonial Specialist | Employment Law
- SKILLS & ENDORSEMENTS and you can have 50: Pin your top three and add 47 more.
- PROJECT AND PUBLICATIONS: It is not only the titles where you want to have keywords but also the descriptions.
So how can you find out which keyword might be better than another? I use the Jobs tab and type in a word, and use Greater Philadelphia Area. Then I look up different synonyms for the keyword and choose the best version.
You not only want to be found by using the most popular words, but you want to be found by the niche words where you have expertise. As they say, Riches in Niches!
You can also go on Google Trends and compare keywords for Philadelphia for different time frames – 1 month, 90 days, one year, and many more choices. My experience has been that Google Trends mirrors LinkedIn. If you keep all of your research in a spreadsheet (Excel or Google sheets), then you can sort them alphabetically or by most to least.
When I put clients into my system for keyword research, they all have AHA moments and realize they have dead wood in their profiles with words that are not doing them any good.
So, as we are about to approach the holidays, start thinking about spring cleaning your LinkedIn profile while things might have slowed down a bit!
Missed last week’s articleon Promote Your Freelance, Side Gig, or Side Hustle on LinkedIn? Click here.
>>> Do these LinkedIn tips help you with your profile? Or do you need a Career Management Checklist? Support a nonprofit for just $1 anytime during the month of December at http://givebutter.com/gcgt2020 or Text GCGT2020 to 202-858-1233
Got a minute to watch a video? Learn how you can support a nonprofit when you shop on Amazon.
Upcoming Online Zoom Events
Register for the events on our website.
- 12/11 Interviewing Techniques with The Interview Doctor
- 12/12 Membership Offering Focus Group – Make Your Voice Count!
- 12/14 Career Success Group Meeting
- 12/14 Powerfully Persuade Through Storytelling
- 12/15 The Power of a Crystal Clear Vision: 3 Secrets to Overcoming Uncertainty
- 12/15 Business Executives Networking Group (BENG)
- 12/16 PowerThinking Resilience Building Call-In
- 12/16 Networking Introductions & Job Search & Interview Tip Sharing at BENG
- 12/16 Business Executives Networking Group (BENG)
- 12/17 4 Tips to Build Your Purpose Career at Nonprofit Career Network
- 12/18 Interviewing Techniques with The Interview Doctor
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Lynne Williams, Ed.D. Candidate (she/her/hers) is the Executive Director of the Philadelphia Area Great Careers Group, a nonprofit with over 6300 members and alumni. Contact Lynne by phone at 484-393-2951, email at firstname.lastname@example.org, on social media @GreatCareersPHL and #GreatCareersPHL and connect on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/in/lynnewilliams. Read our SCORE Success Story as a 2020 Small Business Achievement Award Winner!