West Chester’s Marshall Square Park Fountain Brought Back to Life
Thanks to the dedication of the Friends of Marshall Square Park a historic fountain in West Chester’s northeast quadrant will flow back to life later this month, writes Michael Rellahan for Daily Local News.
Erected in 1889, opposite the park’s Civil War monument, the five-tiered fountain was a popular meeting place in its heyday.
But by the 1950’s much of it was dismantled; the fountain reduced to a basin and lower tier. The upper tiers were saved by owners of an East Bradford farm who installed them on their property.
In 2012, the Friends of Marshall Square Park recovered the upper tiers and promised to restore the fountain to its former glory.
“Our goal has been to create a welcoming space and gateway for our town,” said Jeff Beitel, President of the group.
To celebrate the success of the restoration project, the Friends of Marshall Park are holding a rededication ceremony at 4 p.m. on September 24.
As part of the ceremony, the fountain will be named the ‘Jack R. Loew Memorial Fountain’ in honor of beloved developer Jack Loew, whose widow Patricia Burton Loew was instrumental in bringing the project to fruition.
There is a members-only fundraising party planned for after the dedication and the Friends of Marshall Square Park are still raising money to cover the costs of the resoration.
For information about becoming a member and helping complete this beautiful restoration go to www.marshallsquarepark.org.
Read more about the rededication at Daily Local News here.
Connect With Your Community
Subscribe to stay informed!
"*" indicates required fields