There’s no one type of successful person. There’s an abundance of human beings across all personality types that have a myriad of accomplishments. However, especially when it comes to the workplace, highly successful people share the same habits. If you want to be a rising star in your industry, there are certain habits that are sure-fire ways to become successful in your workplace, according to the website The Muse.
1. Show up on time (And just general timeliness)
2. Dress for the job you want
3. Know how to communicate with higher-ups
4. Speak up in meetings
5. Take charge during projects
6. Be receptive to feedback
7. Solve problems instead of just pointing them out
8. Don’t compare yourself to others
9. Take on leadership opportunities, but don’t overcommit yourself
10. Think about the skills you want for your future job
11. Record your accomplishments
12. Make friends and allies
13. Pay attention to who is getting promoted
14. Keep up to date on the happenings of your company
15. Don’t be afraid to socialize
16. Remain calm and collected even under pressure
17. Hold yourself and your mistakes accountable
18. Know the type of environment that makes you productive
19. Avoid office gossip
20. Remain positive
21. Keep it professional
22. Give people your undivided attention
23. Know how to pitch ideas
24. Know what you need to improve
25. Actually like your job
Read more about the habits of highly successful employees on The Muse.
Talent expert Mark Buckingham talks about the research behind succeeding at work.
Wilmington University, the sponsor of VISTA Today — Career Corner, is a private, open-access institution that serves more than 20,000 adults, including those seeking advancement through higher education and traditional-age students who aspire to become successful global citizens.
One of the most affordable private universities in the Delaware Valley, WilmU is committed to the idea that finishing an undergraduate degree or obtaining a master’s or doctoral degree can be affordable and accessible.
The University offers over 200 accredited and career-relevant degree and certificate programs in flexible online and hybrid formats designed to accommodate adults of all ages who work full- or part-time or juggle demanding career, family, and personal schedules.
Learn more about WilmU here or register to attend one of the University’s webinars. You will find information about academic programs, flexible scheduling options, tuition, admissions, student services, athletics, and more.