Following the release of their new book Esports in Education, the West Chester-based StreamGeeks have announced a new educational Minecraft server designed for use in the classroom. Minecraft is a popular video game developed by Microsoft that is being used for a variety of educational purposes, including social emotional learning, computer programming, elementary math and now creative arts, and engineering. The StreamGeeks will be unveiling the new Minecraft server and giving away 100 free copies of Esports in Education at the Flux Esports in Education Summit in Norristown on Friday, March 13.
Flux, an Experience Center of Corbett Inc., is located at 56 Buttonwood Street in Norristown. Flux is where a group of educators, designers, and consultants – who are passionate about creating innovative learning experiences, environments, and events – promote engagement, creativity, and collaboration.
The Esports in Education Summit features a full day of learning and networking with educators and esports coaches from the area, including Drexel University, the Garnet Valley School District, and the Chester County Intermediate Unit (CCIU). The event will feature an organization fair and Esports in Education panel with Chris Custer of Garnet Valley, La Recia Tripp from Microsoft, Hung Nguyen from Drexel, and Brianna Titi from Emerald Foundation.
The StreamGeeks will be demonstrating their new educational Minecraft server designed to help teachers host innovative esports tournaments that support creative arts and engineering. The Minecraft server is the brainchild of Matthew Benner and Paul Richards, two West Chester natives with kids who are active in esports. Paul Richards’s new book, Esports in Education, was launched at the 2020 FETC, Future of Educational Technology Conference, with a mission to help students gain the most educational value from video games and esports.
“We wanted to design a Minecraft server where teachers could set up esports projects that can span over any period of time,” Richards said. “In this way, the power of esports competition can be expanded over weeks or even months. This type of esports tournament allows teachers to have an active influence over the project.”
Free copies of Esports and Education can be downloaded by clicking here.
Objectives of the Day:
- learn from educators/esports coaches in the area on establishing clubs/teams, where to start, past mistakes, and successes
- hear about the opportunities/benefits that esports provides
- connect with organizations and companies that can help bring esports to your school, community center, organization
- network with other educators in the area who are looking for more teams to play, opportunities to compete
- leave with connections, resources, and a better understanding of esports in education
- hear from a panel of educators, esports coaches, and university administrators on what esports brings to their students, how they got started, etc.
Gaming systems provided by Lenovo Legion, as well as Intel NUCs, will be onsite and available to try out.
Click here to register for Flux’s Esports in Education Summit.
- 9 AM: Doors Open
- 9-10:30 AM: Vendor/Organization Fair
- 10:30 AM-12 PM: Esports in Education Panel
- 12-2:30 PM: Vendor/Organization Fair
- 2:30-3:30 PM: Transition and Setup CCIU Rocket League Tournament
- 3-8 PM: Rocket League Tournament Organized by CCIU
Click here to register or find more information about the Rocket League Tournament.
Corbett Inc. makes it easy for prospective clients to experience first-hand the numerous aspects of a successful facility project. Displaying much more than furniture, its Experience Centers are designed to integrate technology, flooring, architectural walls, height-adjustable desking, and flexible seating. These centers focus on educating, stimulating, and motivating clients and internal associates, and provide an ideal platform to evaluate upcoming facility decisions. Its vignettes range from corporate settings to learning environments, and healthcare interiors to student housing, with state-of-the-art corporate theater and video conferencing technology, making it easy to visualize an upcoming space or facility project.
Click here to learn more about Corbett.