The Volunteer English Program, which has helped thousands of Chester County’s most vulnerable newcomers learn English and achieve U.S. citizenship, has named seven Conversation Group Leaders as its 2019 Hamilton Tutors of the Year:
- Pierre Amy, Phoenixville Library Group Co-Leader
- John Argeseanu, Phoenixville Library Group Leader
- Pattie Littlewood, Easttown Library Group Leader
- Jane Palestini, West Chester Library Group Leader
- Susan Pierson, Tredyffrin Library Group Leader
- Karen Smith, Downingtown Library Group Leader
- Arlene Stevenson, Central Presbyterian Church (Downingtown) Group Leader
The Hamilton Award was established in 2013 to honor VEP’s founder, June Hamilton, and recognize tutors who go above and beyond in fully embracing VEP’s mission and promoting the organization throughout Chester County.
VEP’s Conversation Group Leaders moderate weekly meetings of students, tutors, and anyone within the community seeking to practice their English conversation skills.
“While many of our tutors embody the spirit of this award, these seven individuals, in addition to serving as one-to-one tutors, have collectively donated nearly 500 hours of their time this past year to lead five regional Conversation Groups,” said Terri Potrako, VEP’s Executive Director.
“Their dedication has enabled VEP to extend our engagement within the community beyond one-to-one instruction. They give hope to those waiting, often for months, to be matched with a tutor, or to those who are unable to commit to three hours of weekly instruction due to family or work commitments.”