By Jaime Lynn Curley
I often talk with clients who are stuck in their offices for 8-10 hours a day. They have good intentions to change their habits and create a healthier lifestyle but unexpected meetings happen and they are stuck grabbing lunch from the vending machine.
On the flip side, I have other clients who have a travel schedule that keeps them either on the road or in the air more than they are in their own home each week. This used to be me so I can relate to the unpredictability of a job that has you traveling.
If you are stuck at your desk all day:
- Be prepared. Stack your desk with healthy snack options: raw almonds, fresh fruit, rice cakes, nut butter. If you have access to a fridge, have hard-boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, and string cheese on hand.
- Hydration is so important. Water! Aim to drink at least ½ your body weight in ounces per day.
- Eat every 3-4 hours. If you know you will be in a meeting, bring your snack with you.
- In case you cannot get out to grab a healthy lunch always have a meal replacement on hand. A fully balanced meal replacement should have a balance of good fats, good carbs & protein. Add water & ice & shake it up!
If you travel for work each week:
- Be prepared. There are so many portable nonperishable options these days. I love raw nuts, Bada Bean Bada Boom, roasted chic peas & fiber bars.
- When flying your body gets dehydrated quickly. Bring a water bottle with you and fill it after you get through security.
- Eat every 3-4 hours. When traveling you never know what will happen. Don’t allow a delay on the plane stop you from eating healthy. The snacks above will keep you from getting hangry.
- A fully balanced meal replacement will not only save your waistline it will help your wallet as well. Instead of picking up a meal that will for sure leave you feeling sluggish, have a meal replacement bar or shake on hand.
Whether you work from home, in an office or travel you can make healthy choices if you are prepared.
Sarah Ostroski of Tonicity Fit will be conducting a seminar at the Chester County Chamber of Business & Industry on Thursday, February 28th to present how to improve your health and wellness with a busy life.
Jaime Lynn Curley is the founder of West Chester-based The Tailor Made Life, LLC., a solutions company helping individuals achieve mind, body and career goals. Her passion is helping others to feel their best so they can enjoy the everyday moments of life. You can reach her at email@example.com or on her Facebook page.