Landenberg Historian Helped Build New Revolutionary War Museum in Philadelphia
It had been a long time coming, but thanks to the efforts of Landenberg historian Scott Stephenson and Valley Forge’s National Center for the American Revolution, Philadelphia finally has a museum dedicated to the Revolutionary War, writes John Chambless for the Chester County Press.
Eleven years ago, Stephenson helped put together the “Clash of Empires” traveling exhibit to mark the 250th anniversary of the French and Indian War for the Smithsonian. As soon as the exhibit opened, he was contacted by the Valley Forge Center.
The historic society was founded by Reverend Herbert Burk, who collected a treasure trove of Revolutionary War items. Without a proper place to display them in Valley Forge Park, though, most of the collection remained in storage after his death in 1933.
Finally, eight years ago, the Center managed to acquire a piece of land at Third and Chestnut streets in Philadelphia.
Stephenson, who was deeply involved in the design and layout of the new museum, has also made sure that a special place is allocated for its most treasured item, George Washington’s war tent.
Read more about the museum in the Chester County Press here.
Connect With Your Community
Subscribe to stay informed!
"*" indicates required fields