By Leslie Rylke
The County Economic Development Council (CCEDC) and Red Cross can help you with this effort as they are jointly hosting a blood drive this Tuesday, June 27 between 1pm and 6pm.
According to the Red Cross, the warmer months are one of the most challenging times of the year for blood donations. With the number of new donors typically declining by more than 30 percent during the summer months of June, July, and August.
Summer vacations and travel can contribute to less availability for people to give blood or platelets. In a spring survey of Red Cross blood and platelet donors, nearly 90 percent indicated plans to take vacations this summer.
However, patients don’t get a summer holiday or vacation from needing lifesaving blood. The Red Cross relies on volunteer donors for the 15,000 blood donations needed every day to support patients at about 2,600 hospitals and transfusion centers nationwide.
6 things to know before donating blood
Donating blood is a simple process and only takes about an hour. To help reduce the fear of the unknown for new donors, here are six things helpful to know before donating blood:
- Maintain a healthy iron level in your diet.
- Hydrate – drink an extra 16 oz. of liquid before and after your donation.
- Have a healthy meal before your donation – avoid foods high in fat just prior to donation.
- Wear comfortable clothing with sleeves that can be raised above the elbow.
- Complete your RapidPass on the day of donation, prior to arriving, to save time.
- Remember to bring your ID!
Please participate in this life-saving mission and reserve a time today! Walk-ins are also welcome, stop by the Chester County Economic Development Council at 737 Constitution Drive, Exton, PA.