Want to reinvent? Whether or not you are a veteran, you may want to reinvent yourself or pivot to your next career. How do you present on LinkedIn?
How do military terminology or terms you used in a past industry work on LinkedIn in relation to your future-forward?
What if you were a stay-at-home mom wanting to reenter the workforce after taking time off to raise a family?
What if you want to change industries and start a new career path?
You need to know what you want to be when you grow up! You need to know the direction and path you want to follow in your next career move.
If you need to explore that concept because you are unsure, there are many career assessment resources and career coaches who run assessments.
When you start looking for a new job, you will hopefully pick a lane and stick in it, and hyperfocus on that role. That way, you can target your key titles, keywords, and your positioning statement on LinkedIn to focus on your future-forward aspirations.
LinkedIn is a database, and it’s full of key titles and keywords.
Where can you explore keywords? There are a couple of ways listed in the article How Keywords Help you Win on Your Resume & LinkedIn Profile that include:
- Looking them up in the Jobs tab on LinkedIn
- Looking them up on Google Trends
- Using LinkedIn’s Resume Builder
- Using other text analyzers
Where can you weave in your keywords on your LinkedIn profile?
- About Section
- Embellished job titles and in the text in your work experience
- Skills Section (which you can also connect to your work experiences)
- Publications and Projects
What do you do if you were in the Infantry Airborne Division and wanted to be in Business Development? You can highlight your transferable skills.
How does a homeroom mom or school fundraiser shine? Did you plan and execute events? Raise $X? Build a team (of other moms)? There are transferable skills in what you accomplished!
What if you want to turn to more mission-driven work, perhaps work for a nonprofit? Maybe you are interested in changing from a career in real estate to healthcare or vice versa. You need to use the keywords on your profile that you have qualifications for that relate to your future-forward position. In the About section, you can state that after x decades in the xxx industry, you want to do a career pivot to xxx.
What if you are a business owner and sold your business and want a W-2 job? There is a story you can tell about this.
I have helped people start their careers fresh out of college, advance in their careers, return to work, and pivot in their careers from self-employment or another industry, so I know reinvention is possible. I have changed industries seven times with experience working in corporate, nonprofit, education, and self-employment.
You are in sales and marketing when you are a job seeker. You will be selling and marketing yourself, but it does not come without work and preparation.
You must open the refrigerator door or get in the car to fetch food if you want to eat. It takes some effort, as does managing your career, go hop to it!
Did you read last week’s article on Finding Remote Jobs On and Off LinkedIn?
Today is Veteran’s Day, and I want to thank all veterans who have served, are serving, or will serve our country. I love this quote below cited in the article Use LinkedIn to Thank Veterans for Their Service.
“A veteran – whether active duty, discharged, retired or reserve – is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America, for an amount of up to, and including, his/her life.”
- Subscribe to my newsletter on LinkedIn for bright ideas to manage your career.
- Join as a member at https://greatcareers.org/membership of the #1 business networking association on the Philadelphia Business Journal’s Book of Lists two years in a row!
- Register on the events page for these upcoming online events.
- If you need a resume or LinkedIn profile to get you to your next step, book a call to chat!
- Follow #GreatCareersPHL
- Fri Nov 11 – PowerThinking: Rejuvenating Your Amazing Mind
- Sat Nov 12 – Taking Small Actions that Led to Big Results
- Sat Nov 12 – Chester County Library Job Resource & Career Fair
- Tues Nov 15 – How to Develop & Deliver a Powerful Elevator Pitch
- Tues Nov 15 – Tips to Optimize Your Resume
- Tues Nov 15 – Business Executives Networking Group (BENG) Lehigh Valley
- Wed Nov 16 – PowerThinking: Rejuvenating Your Amazing Mind Weekly Resilience Building Call-In
- Wed Nov 16 – Business Executives Networking Group (BENG) Charlotte, NC
- Thurs Nov 17 – Recruiter on Call with Jobs
- Thurs Nov 17 – How to Create a Presentation to Win Your Next Interview
- Thurs Nov 17 – LGBTQ+ OUTstanding Careers Group
- Fri Nov 18 – Interview Techniques
- Sat Nov 19 – LinkedIn Part 3 of 3
- Mon Nov 21 – Career Success Group Job Seeker Accountability & Networking
- Mon Nov 21 – Tips to Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile