Thornbury Township Adds Historical Marker to Acknowledge Battle of the Brandywine

By
Battle of the Brandywine marker
Image via Bill Rettew, Daily Local News.
New Revolutionary War historic marker in Thornbury Township.

The eighth of what will be 15 total markers in the area to commemorate and educate about the Battle of the Brandywine was recently installed in Thornbury Township, writes Bill Rettew for the Daily Local News.

Located at 1256 Thornbury Road in West Chester, the installation was led by Brandywine Battlefield Task Force Steering Committee and marks a place where almost 30,000 soldiers fought during the Revolutionary War on Sept. 11, 1777.

“Having this historic sign located here will help ensure, recognize and protect this historic farming countryside,” said Thornbury Supervisor Eric Burling.

Communities and volunteers within Chester and Delaware counties have been working together to mark locations where American fighters held their ground against Hessian and British troops.

The marker reads:

“General Stephen’s Stand Sept 11, 1777”

“Late afternoon, in this vicinity, infantry and artillery of American General Stephen’s division used the naturally high topography (still visible today) to their advantage, staving off a series of Crown Force attacks by Hessian and British soldiers.

“Forming the right flank of the American battle line, Stephen’s division was eventually forced to retreat after bravely holding their position. The collapse of the American right flank line ended General Washington’s attempts for the Americans to successfully resist General Howe’s well executed military maneuver.”

Read more about the Battle of the Brandywine marker at the Daily Local News.

Connect With Your Community

Subscribe to stay informed!

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Advertisement