The packaging event will be held in the school’s Founder’s Pavilion on Saturday, Feb. 3 from 10 AM-12 PM, when students, faculty, and staff will work alongside church and community volunteers.
In addition to CFS and its Leadership Council, numerous area churches – St. David’s Episcopal Church and St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Wayne, Bryn Mawr’s Church of the Redeemer, and St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Exton – are supporting the event through financial donations to purchase the meals and manpower to package them.
The Episcopal Academy in Newtown Square is also partnering with Church Farm School for the event.
“We have long been a school committed to service, and this effort is one where we can work alongside good friends from the community to support the international hunger crisis,” said The Rev. Edmund K. Sherrill II, Head of School. “When we began planning our centennial year, we knew that a day of service would be an important way for us to give back, as we have received so much generosity from our own neighbors over the past 100 years.”
CFS was founded in 1918 by The Rev. Dr. Charles Wesley Shreiner, who moved five boys recruited from West Philadelphia churches onto a dilapidated Chester County farm in Glen Loch (now Exton) with the goal of creating an Episcopal boarding school for fatherless boys – a school in which students would perform farm work to finance their educations.
Today, young men “of ability and promise” attend a college-prep high school and graduate to attend some of the nation’s finest schools, including Brown, Princeton, Yale, Penn, Swarthmore, and Williams.