Colonial Theatre Calls for Submissions for Short Film Contest During Blobfest
Enter the 2023 Blobfest: Blobs & Monsters Shorty’s Short Film Contest to tell your terrifying tale! Each year, inspired by the same muse that sang to Director Irvin “Shorty” Yeaworth when he conceived The Blob, filmmakers of all ages compose entries for the Colonial Theatre’s annual Shorty’s Short Film Contest.
Winning films will be screened for the public during Blobfest 2023 (July 14-16). Prizes will be awarded to the winners on Friday night during the Stage Show, so each Short Film Contest entrant receives 1-2 tickets in the Friends & Family Section (Upper Balcony) with their entry.
- Submit your short film by Friday, June 23 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- MOV and Mp4 files are preferred.
- Films must be under 3 minutes in length.
- Family friendly content only, please. If you’re wondering whether something is appropriate, then it probably isn’t right for this contest.
- Your film entry should be Sci-Fi related. Riffs on The Blob, a blob, or related movie themes are welcomed but not required.
- You must include this year’s required item at least once in your entry: a meteorite. Any films entered into the Shorty’s Short Film Contest that do NOT feature the appearance or presence of a meteorite at least once will be disqualified.
The Shorty’s Short Film Contest will be judged by Colonial Theatre staff and the Contest sponsor. Awards will be given in these categories:
- Under 18 years of age
- Over 18 years of age
- Best Animated Short Film
- The Fan Favorite
Go boldly, friends, and let your iPhones and imaginations propel you ever onward to Shorty’s glory.
Blobfest is an annual signature event in its 24th year. The weekend-long festival celebrates our theatre’s and Phoenixville’s cinematic claim-to-fame as a filming location for the 1958 sci-fi/horror classic, The Blob. In 2022, the first in-person festival since COVID generated over $40,000 in critical operating revenue for our nonprofit. The festival draws a high volume of visitors to surrounding businesses at a time when most downtowns are quiet.
Over 4,000 patrons and visitors attend Blobfest each year, with approximately 85 percent traveling from within the Philadelphia Metro area. In addition to these ticket buyers, over 1,000 spectators come to Phoenixville just to watch the Friday night ‘Run-out’ from Bridge Street.
Tickets for Blobfest 2023: Blobs & Monsters go on sale Thursday, June 1, 2022 at 10 AM for Colonial Theatre Members. The public on-sale occurs Friday, June 2, 2022 at 10 AM.
To become a sponsor or with questions about the Shorty’s Short Film Contest, contact Bob at email@example.com. For all other questions related to Blobfest, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more at the Colonial Theatre.
Connect With Your Community
Subscribe to stay informed!
"*" indicates required fields