Kennett Township Makes Moves for Maintaining Historic Farm Once Owned by William Penn

By
Spar Hill Farm
Image via Chester County Press.
Spar Hill Farm.

The Kennett Township Board of Supervisors has approved $478,210 to demolish and stabilize 27 structures at the historic Spar Hill Farm, writes Richard Gaw for the Chester County Press

Around 70 percent of the estimated amount will be spent to demolish 13 structures on the site, while the remaining 30 percent will go toward stabilizing seven structures to retain and keep six more structures in their current state. The township also plans to spend $18,000 on the overall clean-up of the historic site. 

Spar Hill Farm was originally owned by William Penn. It was originally called Way Farm and was managed by Quakers for more than a century. In the 1800s, two quarries were added to the site to mine feldspar. It returned to its roots in 1925 as Shutt Dairy Farm and became known as Spar Hill Turkey Farm in 1940. 

As a result, the property is dotted with many structures from different periods, such as a metal silo erected next to the existing sheds and barns. 

Among the structures that have been marked for preservation are a smokehouse, the main residence, a metal silo, and a pony barn. 

Read more about Spar Hill Farm in Chester County Press

Connect With Your Community

Subscribe to stay informed!

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Advertisement