A 26-acre property in Elverson known as the Isabella Furnace house was the last iron furnace to operate in Chester County, and it’s now on the market for $2.1 million, writes Sandy Smith for Philadelphia magazine.
Built in 1835 and named after Isabella Potts, the wife of ironmaker Henry Potts, the furnace stopped working in 1894. It slowly declined for decades until Dr. and Mrs. Daniel Lieberman purchased and started renovations in 1972 to convert one of the buildings into the 5,700-square-feet, three-story house it is today.
Pottstown architect P. Richard Frantz was hired to design an addition, which gave the house a second entrance to the main building.
Even with two bedrooms, a wood-burning fireplace, a pool and hot tub, and many more amenities, 261 Bollinger Road retains its historical beauty.
Additionally, the blast house was restored to accommodate guests, parties, and meetings. The charging house is currently used as a storage shed, but it could also be restored to use as an office, workshop, or home studio.
Read more about the Isabella Furnace house in Philadelphia magazine.