“People who volunteer tend to experience fewer aches and pains.”
In addition, “people 55 and older who volunteer for two or more organizations are significantly less likely to die early, and that’s after sifting out every other contributing factor, including physical health, exercise, gender, habits like smoking, marital status and many more. This is a stronger effect than exercising four times a week.”
These quotes were passed on to me by a TEDx Wilmington speaker who read them on the Random Acts of Kindness website . They were taken from a book called Raising Happiness: In Pursuit of Joyful Kids and Happier Parents by Christine Carter.
In case you were not aware, you can add the profile section called VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE on your individual LinkedIn profile. It’s a great way to showcase any nonprofit organizations that you are passionate about and might even strike up a conversation with others who may be reviewing your profile.
In addition, you can seek volunteer opportunities or seek volunteers for a nonprofit on the LinkedIn Volunteer Marketplace.
Because it’s that giving time of year, don’t forget to support nonprofits with your time, talent, and treasure … and list your volunteer efforts on your LinkedIn profile.
Here are my special reminders should you wish to participate in any of these:
- It’s holiday season coming up and if you are shopping online, please shop on amazon.com and choose the Philadelphia Area Great Careers Group as your charitable nonprofit. It does not change your pricing and we receive a small stipend from Amazon as a 501(c)3.
- #GivingTuesday is coming up on December 3rd and you could help a jobseeker or veteran with a scholarship for $35 annual Bronze membership or other programming or help us with any capacity building donations through our donate button, we would be blessed. We are an all-volunteer organization and that includes me too!
Don’t miss our upcoming featured events. If you are a working adult, come learn and network with us. You must be a member of the meetup before you can RSVP to any of these events or our partner events and see the location and other details.
- 11/18/19 Jobseeker Challenges Open Forum Discussion – Ken Sher
- 11/18/19 The Most Incredible Productivity Tool That You Still Haven’t Heard Of – Jeff Gibbard
- 11/20/19 Virtual Zoom Career Support Group Meeting – Dominique Kliger, Ph.D.
- 11/20/19 Berwyn Fire Company Turkey Raffle
- 11/21/19 PowerThinking Resilience Building Call-In – Stanley Greene
- 11/21/19 Lessons from the Other Side of the Desk – Lauren Williams
- 11/23/19 LinkedIn Part 3 of 3 – Lynne Williams
- 12/2/19 6th Annual Holiday Joint Social (register on or before Thanksgiving) – Silent Auction Donors & Sponsors Welcomed https://greatcareersphl.org/holiday-social
Need to accelerate your job search or manage your career? Explore our kickstarter offerings.
Missed the previous LinkedIn article on LinkedIn? Click here!
Lynne Williams is the Executive Director of the Philadelphia Area Great Careers Group, a 501(c)3 nonprofit of almost 4400 members providing career education and networking. Contact Lynne by phone at 484-393-2951, email at email@example.com, on social media @GreatCareersPHL and #GreatCareersPHL and connect on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/in/lynnewilliams Check out the website!