Join the Greater West Chester Chamber of Commerce for breakfast as they host a State of Education Update sponsored by West Chester University featuring presentations from Dr. Christopher Fiorentino, President of West Chester University, Dr. James Scanlon, Superintendent of Schools – West Chester Area School District and Dr. Emilie Lonardi, Superintendent of Schools – Downingtown Area School District.
Dr. Fiorentino, Dr. Scanlon and Dr. Lonardi will discuss how their education institutions will work with the business community to better prepare students for the jobs of the 21st Century.
Dr. Fiorentino will discuss:
- Breaking Ground on the Largest Building in University History: The Sciences and Engineering Center and The Commons
- Providing Targeted Support Services Toward Student Success and Graduation
- Prioritizing and Documenting Students’ Community Engagement
Dr. Scanlon will discuss the following future initiatives:
- Later school starting times for teens
- Managing growth in the district
- Offering an online diploma
Dr. Lonardi will discuss the following future initiatives:
- Managing district growth (this is a big one for WC and DASD); Blended model of instruction
- Preparing our students for academic and career readiness in the 21st century; Crucial need for business partnerships
- Elementary STEM Innovation Bus (possibly have bus on site)
Additionally, enjoy a presentation from the High School tract winners of WCU Business Idea Competition and GWCC scholarship recipients, Alana Pappas and Julia Hirs of Bishop Shanahan for their compression vest idea, ‘Carla’. We will also recognize the grand prize winner of the competition, Alfred Bedell, Alice Bedell, Franklin Chukwu, and WCU’s Susan Gans, professor and assistant chair of the psychology department who won with the innovative ‘U-Check-It’, an integrated non-invasive health monitoring system that tracks stress and opioid usage in real time.
When: Friday, May 17, 2019, 7:45 AM thru 9:15 AM
Where: Radley Run Country Club (Mansion House), 1100 Country Club Road, West Chester, PA 19382
RSVP is required.